Photo

What Is The Defintion Of A Seriolithograph?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolieanne

Nicolieanne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music (vocal, guitar, keyboard), Gardening, Quilting, Family, Faith Friends and my Home

Posted 06 June 2005 - 04:19 PM

Park West Gallery sells several 'seriolithographs' and I am confused by the term. Can you define it, and what is its value in relation to a lithograph or serigraph?

Thanks,

Nicolieanne

#2 jack

jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Art Interests:Photo Realism

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:57 PM

Hi Nicole,
Serioligraph is a term that park west made up. It is basically a lithograph or offset lithograph with a couple of colors of silkscreens. They way they do it is very cheap to produce. Below are a couple of definitions that may help you.

What is a Serigraph?

A Serigraph (sometimes called Silkscreen) is created using a printmaking process in which paint is pushed through a fine screen – usually made of silk or nylon -- onto either canvas or fine art paper. A different screen is used for each color represented in the print.

A variation on this process is a Seri-cel. Used predominately in animation art, a Seri-cel is created by pushing paint through a screen onto a film surface-likely made of acetate or mylar. This process allows artists to strongly express themselves with the use of vibrant colors and definitions.

What is a Lithograph?

Based on the principle that oil and water repel, a Lithograph is created when an artist produces an oil-based or pen image on a stone or piece of metal. This surface is then moistened and covered with an oil-based ink. The resulting chemical reaction between the oil and water drives away the ink on the surface – except where the drawing was first done. Fine quality paper is then placed against the surface and a lithographic press is used to create the print. Modern technology and processes have provided artists with many unique methods with which to create magnificent lithographs.

What is an Offset Lithograph?

The offset lithography process works by first transferring an image photographically to thin metal, paper, or plastic printing plates. Unlike other forms of printing, the image on the printing plate is not recessed or raised. Rollers apply oil-based ink and water to the plates. Since oil and water don't mix, the oil-based ink won't adhere to the non-image areas. Only the inked image portion is then transferred to a rubber blanket (cylinder) that then transfers the image onto the paper as it passes between it and another cylinder beneath the paper. The term offset refers to the fact that the image isn't printed directly to the paper from the plates, but is offset or transferred to another surface that then makes contact with the paper.
Jack

#3 cirosculpt

cirosculpt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE(Nicolieanne @ Jun 6 2005, 02:19 PM)
Park West Gallery sells several 'seriolithographs' and I am confused by the term.  Can you define it, and what is its value in relation to a lithograph or serigraph?

Thanks,

Nicolieanne

#4 azorad

azorad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:30 PM

I just returned from a cruise and Park West had an auction onboard. I attended the auction and bid on a few pieces. At the end of the auction I won a raffle drawing and won my choice of a select few. Some of these pieces are seriolithographs. I paid extra for an appraisal on each one. Are the appraisals simply what Park West feels they are worth, or will I receive a fair market value of each? huh.gif

QUOTE(jack @ Jun 6 2005, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Nicole,
Serioligraph is a term that park west made up. It is basically a lithograph or offset lithograph with a couple of colors of silkscreens. They way they do it is very cheap to produce. Below are a couple of definitions that may help you.

What is a Serigraph?

A Serigraph (sometimes called Silkscreen) is created using a printmaking process in which paint is pushed through a fine screen – usually made of silk or nylon -- onto either canvas or fine art paper. A different screen is used for each color represented in the print.

A variation on this process is a Seri-cel. Used predominately in animation art, a Seri-cel is created by pushing paint through a screen onto a film surface-likely made of acetate or mylar. This process allows artists to strongly express themselves with the use of vibrant colors and definitions.
What is a Lithograph?

Based on the principle that oil and water repel, a Lithograph is created when an artist produces an oil-based or pen image on a stone or piece of metal. This surface is then moistened and covered with an oil-based ink. The resulting chemical reaction between the oil and water drives away the ink on the surface – except where the drawing was first done. Fine quality paper is then placed against the surface and a lithographic press is used to create the print. Modern technology and processes have provided artists with many unique methods with which to create magnificent lithographs.
What is an Offset Lithograph?

The offset lithography process works by first transferring an image photographically to thin metal, paper, or plastic printing plates. Unlike other forms of printing, the image on the printing plate is not recessed or raised. Rollers apply oil-based ink and water to the plates. Since oil and water don't mix, the oil-based ink won't adhere to the non-image areas. Only the inked image portion is then transferred to a rubber blanket (cylinder) that then transfers the image onto the paper as it passes between it and another cylinder beneath the paper. The term offset refers to the fact that the image isn't printed directly to the paper from the plates, but is offset or transferred to another surface that then makes contact with the paper.

#5 jack

jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Art Interests:Photo Realism

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:57 PM

Azorad, Welcome to the forum. I wish I had better news for you.

The apprasials are total BS. THey sell on ebay for $25 and less. Less that what you paid for the appraisal.
Jack

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users