26 replies to this topic

#1 gregor122670

gregor122670

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:27 PM

Hi,
I have this painting I think or it may be a serigraph but I'm not sure. It is signed by W. Woodward. It's 42"X29". There is a label from the Van Amstel Co.on the back. I'm new to this whole art thing so any help would be appreciated.
Gregor

#2 jack

jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Art Interests:Photo Realism

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:10 AM

Gregor,
You can do a google search for Warren Woodward Art and you will find some articles. First, let's determine what you have.

Can you post a pictue?

Is it numbered?

is it on canvas or paper?

Does it have a border outside of the image?

Is there texture?
Jack

#3 pixiedust24

pixiedust24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:28 AM

I would like info too if any one knows. I have a serigraph called Bamboo. It's hand numbered, hand signed, and textured, and is amazing. I actually have 2 in a row in the limited series of 500. Please let me know any information on him!! Thanks!

#4 jack

jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:23 AM

I've done a little searching but have found very little on him.
Jack

#5 hbartist75

hbartist75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:06 AM

Are you sure it's a "Warren" Woodward painting, and not a William Woodward painting?
If it is, you may have something special...let me know

QUOTE(gregor122670 @ Jul 2 2005, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
I have this painting I think or it may be a serigraph but I'm not sure. It is signed by W. Woodward. It's 42"X29". There is a label from the Van Amstel Co.on the back. I'm new to this whole art thing so any help would be appreciated.
Gregor

#6 pixiedust24

pixiedust24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE(hbartist75 @ Feb 2 2006, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you sure it's a "Warren" Woodward painting, and not a William Woodward painting?
If it is, you may have something special...let me know

I know mine is definately Warren Woodward. The two I have, have the tag taped to the back that says they are from W W Graphics (and the addy in LA), Embossed Serigraph, Artist (typed): WARREN WOODWARD. Guess he had his own gallery? Anyone know? Also, is this the same person that it says is from Australia?

#7 shadetree

shadetree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE(gregor122670 @ Jul 2 2005, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
Gregor

i have a matched set of warrens silkscreens 22/54 inchs left and right harbour scene sailboats houses mountains in original frames with bio on the back like yours and they are numbered i dont know anymore than you but im looking

#8 south

south

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE(pixiedust24 @ Dec 9 2005, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like info too if any one knows. I have a serigraph called Bamboo. It's hand numbered, hand signed, and textured, and is amazing. I actually have 2 in a row in the limited series of 500. Please let me know any information on him!! Thanks!

(name=south) date Feb 5,2008
I have what I suppose is a serigraph (ignorant on art) that is approx. 27 x18, very interesting but unsigned and I think the original picture may have been removed from the frame, which is sealed on the back with paper glued over the entire back. Paper is old and disintergrating in places. The picture, apparently 2 beached wooden sail boats one boat in water in an inlet with other boats in the background,a cabin, I think,done in white,black and aqua, is on a thick fiberboard which I think might have originally been the backing for whatever was in the frame originally.
There is an information sheet on the back attached to the paper backing and equally old that has a picture of Warren Woodward as a fairly young man on it--dark hair, Bob Hope nose, very nice looking.His signature is on it--the w's swoop up dramatically,slant right, very legible. He was Australian born,prominent young artist at East Sydney Tech. College, had to interrupt studies during WW II--SERVED 5 yrs. in Australian army, came to Calif. to study. Returned to Sydney in 1950, became famous for serigraph prints and as scenic artist for motion pictures. Returned to U.S.A. in 1960. His name became well known all over the country.
There is a description of serigraphy or silk screening as an old Chinese method of handprinting colors through
stencil-like designs on silk.
This frame is numbered 875 and has Van Amstel Co. printed on the paper backing and on the info. sheet it gives the adress also as Van Amstel Publishers, 8511 Steller Dr., Culver City, California.
Hope this info. is intersting to someone.

#9 Violet

Violet

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE(south @ Feb 5 2008, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(name=south) date Feb 5,2008
I have what I suppose is a serigraph (ignorant on art) that is approx. 27 x18, very interesting but unsigned and I think the original picture may have been removed from the frame, which is sealed on the back with paper glued over the entire back. Paper is old and disintergrating in places. The picture, apparently 2 beached wooden sail boats one boat in water in an inlet with other boats in the background,a cabin, I think,done in white,black and aqua, is on a thick fiberboard which I think might have originally been the backing for whatever was in the frame originally.
There is an information sheet on the back attached to the paper backing and equally old that has a picture of Warren Woodward as a fairly young man on it--dark hair, Bob Hope nose, very nice looking.His signature is on it--the w's swoop up dramatically,slant right, very legible. He was Australian born,prominent young artist at East Sydney Tech. College, had to interrupt studies during WW II--SERVED 5 yrs. in Australian army, came to Calif. to study. Returned to Sydney in 1950, became famous for serigraph prints and as scenic artist for motion pictures. Returned to U.S.A. in 1960. His name became well known all over the country.
There is a description of serigraphy or silk screening as an old Chinese method of handprinting colors through
stencil-like designs on silk.
This frame is numbered 875 and has Van Amstel Co. printed on the paper backing and on the info. sheet it gives the adress also as Van Amstel Publishers, 8511 Steller Dr., Culver City, California.
Hope this info. is intersting to someone.

That does sound interesting. Do you have a pic you can post? I'm curious. Thanks.
~Violet

#10 skbheard

skbheard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(Violet @ Feb 5 2008, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That does sound interesting. Do you have a pic you can post? I'm curious. Thanks.

I, too, have a signed Warren Woodward serigraph for which I can find no information. I looked closer and it appears to have the number 16 on it. I've researched him and have found very little, other than he once lived in Australia and moved to the states in 1963, I think it was. I contacted an art gallery in California, where Van Amstel was, and they had never heard of it. My serigraph is of a girl in a field of flowers, looking toward the sun. It is done in hues of yellow, green, and brown, and is on canvas. I have a picture of it here, or at least I've tried to upload one! If anyone knows anything about it, I'd love more information. I'm a graduate student with a son in college as well, so I'd love to sell it!

#11 macroc1

macroc1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(pixiedust24 @ Mar 20 2006, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know mine is definately Warren Woodward. The two I have, have the tag taped to the back that says they are from W W Graphics (and the addy in LA), Embossed Serigraph, Artist (typed): WARREN WOODWARD. Guess he had his own gallery? Anyone know? Also, is this the same person that it says is from Australia?

Mines has C1119 and a bio of the ausi painter is it worth anything?

Attached Thumbnails

• wareen_woodward_002.jpg

#12 pixiedust24

pixiedust24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:27 PM

Hey All! Well no one can seem to find out ANYTHING on Warren Woodward, so I have decided to make a website dedicated to his work. It's pretty simple, and I 'borrowed' some of the images. The website is: http://warrenwoodward.atwebpages.com/ and I actually have quite a few more pictures to add. The 1st 7 serigraphs I own!! My favorite, Bamboo, isnt on there yet. I will keep updating it. Hopefully more info will arise. Also everyone, send me your WW pics for the site at sandyzarzano AT email DOT com.

#13 jack

jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:18 AM

very nice job. I dont know much about him either and we do get a bunch of inquiries. The pics that ask if those are warrens are interesting but they dont look like his works. I am curious so if someone finds you and lets you know for sure please let us know.
Jack

#14 tata

tata

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE(gregor122670 @ Jul 2 2005, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
Gregor

Hi,

I also have a W. Woodward serigraph. It's "BAMBOO" #1 of 500. Beautifully framed.
I would like to know it's value.

Thanks to anyone with any information.

Sincerely, tata

#15 pixiedust24

pixiedust24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

Hi tata,

I love Bamboo!!! I'm glad to know there is still another one out there! I have 2 of them. My grandmother purchased them and I have always loved it. Not sure on it's value, but I'd say it's the best looking Warren Woodward serigraph there is and I own about 8 to 10 of them. They don't seem to sell well since no one knows about him. You would think it would be easy to find information. It's SO difficult! So is it in the original white frame (at least I think the ones I have are original!)

Sandy

QUOTE (tata @ Oct 10 2008, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I also have a W. Woodward serigraph. It's "BAMBOO" #1 of 500. Beautifully framed.

Sincerely, tata

#16 da90027

da90027

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:51 AM

I have a Woodward serigraph I just got at a flea market. 31x41 flowing lines very late 60's or early 70's looking. Wondering what it is worth.

Derek DA90027@Yahoo.com

Attached Thumbnails

• Woodward_1.JPG

#17 Stan

Stan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:gambling, reading, movies, and sports

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:14 AM

Hi,
Gregor

#18 Stan

Stan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:gambling, reading, movies, and sports

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

Hi,
Gregor

I have a W. Woodward painting also, it is 40 x 30 and of an Italian Village on the Mediterranean coast. I saw a photo of the town in a newspaper in Park City Ut, and said "thats my picture". City area Corniglia. I am 80 and want to have an estate sale and wondering if it is worth anything. Signed W. Woodward 65. I bought it before 1970 at a Gallery in Torrance CA. Was told it was a silk screen. Any help appreciated. Stan

#19 pixiedust24

pixiedust24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:40 PM

I'd love to see pics of what all everyone has. I have quite a few more to add to my website here:

http://warrenwoodward.atwebpages.com/

Sandy

#20 luvart

luvart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:43 PM

I have 4 Warren Woodward silk screens. They all have the panel on the back of them with his picture, signature, information about him and the painting and at the bottom it says Van Amstel Co. They are all also numbered 281. I found them at my husband's Grandparents house in their basement. Everything else that I found down there with thier stuff was all from the 50's and 60's. They kind of look like differant places around the world. One of them looks like maybe Paris and another maybe Greece. I have been trying to find info on them but it is hard. If anyone thinks they might have heard about them, let me know.

#21 sandy

sandy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

<!--quoteo(post=119:date=Jul 2 2005, 09:27 PM:name=gregor122670)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor122670 @ Jul 2 2005, 09:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi,
Gregor<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hi,

Sincerely, tata

#22 sandy

sandy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

I also have "Bamboo" # 40/500 as well as one called "Spider Mums" ever find any thing out about this artist?
I also have a similar print by Reece Roberts called " Lotus" done much in the same fasion as "Bamboo", can't seem to find any thing about this artist either. All my prints came from WW Graphics gallery in Los angles which doesn't seem to exist any more.
Anyone out there who knows anything please let me know.

Sandra

#23 your hucleberry

your hucleberry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:13 PM

I have a Warren Woodward painting purchased in early 70's in Florida. There is a tag that is partially torn on the back which says Ingle (possibly Inglewood , California), This is a large oil on canvas with brush strokes not apparent, Subject is a waterfall /landscape and the colors are greens , yellows, and browns mostly. It is framed about 48H x 52W. I am trying to determine a value for possible sale. An antique dealer who was not knowlegable on art said that it was in the original frame and had a nice look to it but he did not know the artist. The signature is a definite match for Warren Woodward. Any info on possible value would be much appreciated .

#24 your hucleberry

your hucleberry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

I have a Warren Woodward painting purchased in early 70's in Florida. There is a tag that is partially torn on the back which says Ingle (possibly Inglewood , California), This is a large oil on canvas with bush strokes not apparent, Subject is a waterfall /landscape and the colors are greens , yellows, and browns mostly. It is framed about 48H x 52W. I am trying to determine a value for possible sale. An antique dealer who was not knowlegable on art said that it was in the original frame and had a nice look to it but he did not know the artist. The signature is a definite match for Warren Woodward. Any info on possible value would be much appreciated .

Attached Thumbnails

• Warren Woodward.jpg

#25 Shackph

Shackph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:21 PM

please help.. i have a long w.woodard picture.. it has a beige border going around it in a nice cream frame..on the back it has a paper attached that reads van amstel co.. culver city ca.. and it is numbered 414.. I am trying to find out the value of this.. it is beautiful.. the print is like in paris with gondolas floating in the water.. is so beautiful in good shape.. please if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it.. i am interested in selling it somewhere.. but need to know a round a bout price.. thanks to anyone that can help..

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users